Loohan Forums

This bulletin board is associated with the website loohan.com and its blog.
Anyone can read; just hit the Index tab. Permission is required to post. No agents need apply.
Posts in the wrong category will be relocated.

You are not logged in.

search engine by freefind advanced

#1 2016-04-14 16:15:29

Loohan
Administrator
Registered: 2014-10-31
Posts: 8,019

pyramid of April 2016

Been puttering around making a few things.

Pyramid.4.14.16.jpg

The pipes are PVC filled with resin.

I used screws to hold the diagonals into the corners:

pyramid-screws.jpg

If i do this again i'll use thicker screws and embed them more deeply, although this seems adequate.

Offline

#2 2016-04-15 15:21:59

UrosS
Enabled users
Registered: 2016-03-08
Posts: 82

Re: pyramid of April 2016

Hot head and hands, strong!

Offline

#3 2016-04-15 15:33:30

Loohan
Administrator
Registered: 2014-10-31
Posts: 8,019

Re: pyramid of April 2016

Yes, the 2 units work together.

Offline

#4 2016-04-16 18:20:09

Loohan
Administrator
Registered: 2014-10-31
Posts: 8,019

Re: pyramid of April 2016

I sense someone else making something like this. Vozy has been doing custom programming for their pipes.

The trickiest part was how to tie

pyramid.4.14.16a.jpg

these ends together neatly. I just used a whole $5 stick of epoxy putty and globbed the ends together. But this is very difficult, as the ends want to move all over the place, and you can't see what you're doing because there's a glob of putty covering it. So i peeked at it from underneath and tried to hold everything in as perfect a position as i could while the epoxy heated up and hardened. (The heat is not bad, but i was wearing gloves against the BPA.)

It turned out close enough, but i don't recommend trying that. Next time i will wire the ends together, maybe even drill holes for the wire, and try to lock it more or less in place. And then probably reinforce it with the putty.

To avoid excess weight, i did not pour the base until after i cast the tip in a pyramid mold. I assembled everything as is, with only the diagonals full of resin (they had to be, in order to embed the screws so that i could assemble it).
I supported the mold in the hole of a concrete block on its side, and tied 2 of the pyramid base corners onto some nearby furniture, using a level on the base. And being careful that the pipes had not partially slid out of the corner pieces. (Of course the base was upside-down and sticking in the air.)

Once the poured tip is complete, one could disassemble the base and fill the base pipes, or just leave everything together and pour resin into the ports on each corner, filling the entire base in layers.

What i did, is remove the base pipes, and in order to lock things together, stuff a folded-up, discarded disposable glove into one end of each pipe, and then fill them to an inch or so from the top, in layers.
Later i pulled out the gloves with needlenose pliers. So i had a cavity in the end of each pipe.
Then i reassembled and poured resin into the corner ports. So the epoxy should lock the pipes in strongly.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB